Acupuncture is an ancient medical practice, originating in China and has been around for more than 2,000 years, which alone gives it some serious credibility.
Involving the inserting of very thin needles into the body at different locations and depths known as acupuncture points. Traditional Chinese medicine practitioners believe the human body has more than 2,000 acupuncture points connected by pathways or meridians and by applying acupuncture to these specific points they improve the flow of Qi, thereby improving your health.
The popularity of acupuncture has grown significantly in the Western world primarily because it not only treats the symptoms one is experiencing but looks for the root cause. Research has shown that acupuncture may be helpful for:
- Pain Conditions such as headaches, fibromyalgia, joint pain
- Digestive Issues including IBS and gastritis
- Nausea associated with chemotherapy
- Anxiety and Insomnia
- Autoimmune Issues, and
Women, in particular, are finding acupuncture helpful as recent studies show that it can help with:
- menstrual irregularities and menopause symptoms
- pain and nausea in pregnancy, and
- increasing the chances of fertility when used as a standalone or an adjunct with IVF.
When performed by a skilled practitioner, acupuncture is generally very safe, making it a widely recognized and preferred medical practice.
Anna Merenda is our resident Acupuncturist. If you would like to know more about acupuncture and how it can benefit you, please give our clinic a call. Anna will happily answer your questions.